Monday, October 1, 2007






I learned this at the Pro-D day we went to last year and I thought it was a great way to integrate math and art (sorry if you've already heard me talk about this). Each of the different 3-D structures builds upon the same basic unit ( the way a a single piece of paper is folded), and after folding 20-30 of them you pick it up pretty fast.

The number of units you need follows a particular pattern (sorry, I can't remember exactly how it goes, I think it might double each time??) The three structures I made are built from Sonobe units, the cube is made of 12 and the big one is made of 24, and I'm pretty sure the pattern continues as the size increases. The other structures, which are from the book, use different types of units. The teacher I learned it from said he always starts them before christmas, so students can give them to their parents as christmas decorations.

3 comments:

Chirtie said...

These are really cool! Could you post instructions on how to make them? (And perhaps how they connect to math?)
I love integrating art and math, but it doesn't come easily to me!

Brandon said...

Did you make all those. WOW. will you show us how to make those when we have our informal art night?
I'm impresses. Is that hard to do?
Bev

Alyson Schultz said...

What grade level do you think it would be reasonable to attempt this with? I wonder if higher elementary (grade 6/7s) would be able to do this? It would be fantastic if they could because they would hardly be thinking about the math component of it but they would still be learning and I'm sure it would be something that they wouldn't easily forget!