Monday, November 12, 2007

Art Through Science



Here's some ideas on how to integrate art and science.


The first pic is a density tower created by the Grade sevens from my practicum (the ingredients from bottom to top are brown corn syrup, dish soap with red food dye, water with blue food dye, cooking oil and rubbing alcohol with green food dye). Water, dish soap and rubbing alcohol will easily mix if the pouring is too aggresive so you need to pour slowly down the side of the container when adding each liquid.


The next is from the following internet site which also has a good lesson plan written up, although you'll have to adapt the IRP




I've done this with children ages 6-9 and it works great (as long as you're in a well ventilated area ie: outside). I also found it easier to take the drawn on section of the shirt and stretch it over a 1 litre yogurt container with an elastic band rather than putting plastic in between. That way the excess rubbing alcohol collects in the container and there's less risk of the ink spreading to the other side of the shirt. The containors can also be left on until the design dries, which allows for both sides of the shirt to be completed in one go (that is if you have enough yogurt containers).
Sharpie markers work great!

5 comments:

Lara said...

Hey Erin

I really like how you intergrate Science and Art! I never thought about the two subjects being put together before!

Christine Girard said...

Erin, is that one picture of a kiwi? I dont mean to sound dumb but it looks like one. And by the way I want those lessons plans PLEASE! They look neat and fun I want to try them!

Alyson Schultz said...

Is it ok to do this if you're 23 because I am feeling the urge to did through my cupboards and get started!

Brandon said...

this looks like a real cool science project. I hope we can all keep in contact after we have teaching jobs to share our ideas and know-how
Thanks

Florence Maitland said...

These look like wonderful ideas Erin! :) It's so nice to have such a Science girl in the class. I also love your blog picture-the waterbottles are so cute all lined up! Like a rainbow of colours. Making beauty out of simple things. :) That is creativity!