Tuesday, November 27, 2007

No school Christmas Pagents for Me (at least not yet)

So I think I got a good taste today of what it would be like to plan a Christmas pagent at a school, and I think it may not be the kind of thing I'm ready for yet. The stress of school work, the stress of the season and stresses in life are enough for me to handle right now. I couldn't even handle simply practicing with adults for a Christmas luncheon let alone planning practices weeks if not months ahead of time, prepping materials, sending out invitations, organizing many large groups of kids, late nights of setups and all the other things that would be required to put on a Christmas pagent. Kristen , I bet you have had to do a lot of these as a dance instructor, although not necessarily related to Christmas. I have great admiration for those who can put together such an event. Thanks to everyone for your moral support today.

4 comments:

Lin said...

I have been involved in these events before. I have organized silent auctions, dances and even my own wedding. Remember you do have help. The kids could make the copies of the invitations, a the other teachers could be responsible for teaching their class one song etc. The only thing is you need to just do it with lots of time...something we do not have too much of this week!

Anonymous said...

Erin, I think you could handle this type of activity with no problem. I think you were probably just feeling the culmination of everything else building up and bammo a little christmas cheer went sour and it all came down the spout. But do remember to keep it simple, a few of our moves were getting a bit too fancy perhaps, and give you and the class lots of time to prepare. Plus, you could always trade science lesson teaching in exchange for something like this since you simply rock at that! Thanks for being a super screaming eagle ADDM group member.

Jenn said...

Erin, I'm sorry to hear this was such a stressful experience for you (and I hope I didn't add to it with my singing nitpickyness during our practice the other day; looking back I realize I was being a big fun-sucker - sorry to everybody who reads this!! :S). I think it might be a bit of an easier task in an elementary school setting... you wouldn't have 30 strong-minded individuals like our cohort trying to run the show and butting heads! And like Linda said, you'd have a lot more help and resources, plus having more time to prepare would make things a lot less stressful too (remember we only had a couple of hours to throw this thing together!).

Anyway, I hope you make it through the next few days with as little pain as possible! We're almost done, hang in there! :)

Willow Brown said...

Erin, thanks for your honesty. I'm glad you got through it...and you've learned to appreciate how much work it is. Maybe you'll be one to lend a hand to someone else who takes on the organizing in your future schools.